[DeTomaso] IR EFI experience

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 24 15:35:21 EDT 2013

I have the Electromotive TEC 2 in my Pantera which has been extremely
dependable and satisfactory for my needs.

However, it is 20+ year old technology and will not last forever. I am
planning to upgrade it to a newer unit before it fails. Initially I was
going to stay with Electromotive and go with the TEC3r ECU that Kirby
mentioned.

However, I have changed my mind when a friend of mine put me on to the
MS3-Pro that DIY Autotune offers that uses the MegaSquirt ECU that is
ready to go.

Also, if you are into assembling your own ECU like my friend, Dave
Walgrave, MegaSquirt offers circuit boards for the do it yourselfer that
likes to build from the ground up. Dave  built the ECU for both of his
LeMons cars using the MegaSquirt components.

Both the MegaSquirt and DIY Autotune site offer extensive explanations
and how to guides on the ins and outs of engine management systems.

I am planning to make a "bridge cable" that will enable me to use all my
existing connectors and sensors.  As with any upgrade, I will have to
buy new coil packs, since with the TEC2 they are an integral part of the
ECU and cannot be used.

I would recommend that anyone contemplating an engine management system
look into the DIY Autotune unit as one of your options. The ECU
management software is free can be downloaded and reviewed from either
the DIY Autotune or MegaSquirt web site.  All the necessary components
and instructions for a complete engine management system installation
and operation are available at their web sites:

DIY Autotune: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/index.php
DIY Autotune MS3-Pro: http://www.diyautotune.com/ms3-pro.html
MegaSquirt: http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

While not the governing factor (although it does make the choice that
much sweeter) the MS3-Pro is available for under $1,200.  The TEC3r is
over $2,400.

Dick Koch - Atlanta