[DeTomaso] Clutch Master Cylinders and Engine Mounts

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 23 00:40:15 EDT 2013

In a message dated 10/22/13 20 53 20, steve at snclocks.com writes:

> Are the clutch master cylinders that came with our cars compatible with
> McLeod’s 1400-series clutch slave cylinders that mount around the
> transmission pilot shaft? It looks like they want a 〓 inch master cylinder.
>
>>>I believe the early cars came with 21mm master cylinders, and the GT5-S
was 23mm.   (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong; I also vaguely remember that
the 1971 cars had a different sized bore than the 1972-up cars, but the Ford
parts book doesn't support that contention.   So, forget that)

21mm is .82 inches, pretty close to .75.

More to the point though, as a guy who has two cars with those internal
hydraulic throwout bearings, I would strongly urge you to NOT switch.   Plenty
of modern cars have them, yes.   It was a very trendy thing to do to a
Pantera in the early 1990s when I converted mine.   But history has not been kind
to this modification, for when things eventually go wrong, they go wrong in
a big way and it is a huge PIA to make it right again.

There is absolutely no reason to stray away from a stock-style system with
an external slave cylinder.   That system gives you numerous options for OEM
or aftermarket parts, different bore sizes to give greater or lesser throw,
or pedal effort, and maintenance is, by comparison, childishly simple.
Cost prices are also now down in the weeds too.

It took almost 20 years for my unit to fail, and McLeod repaired it and
upgraded it to the latest model, for free, which speaks highly of them as a
company.   I am a huge fan of their clutches and recommend them to anybody and
everybody.

But stay away from hydraulic throwout bearings.

> > Most amazing thing I found while pulling the engine? Where someone
> ground through the gas-tank shield and into the tank to fit the headers:
>
>>>They ground INTO the gas tank????   I doubt it.   The shield is a
multi-layer affair with asbestos in between; what you're probably seeing is the
inner layer of the shield.   At least, I hope so!

The tank can easily be moved outboard, and the shield can be malletized or
moved for header clearance.   So I'm not saying the genius who did that to
your car was justified by any means!

>  >Lots of other knuckle-headed work, but this one takes the proverbial cake

> > Which raises another question  I haven’t pulled the mounts that mount
> to the frame  but the engine sat a half inch offset toward the drivers
> (and gas tank) side. Are the holes for the mounts that mount on the frame
> slotted so this can be adjusted or are these engines usually a bit offset to
> the drivers’ side?
>
>>>They are offset.   I don't know why?   Actually, I think the engine is
centered between the chassis rails (more or less?) but the 'center' tunnel in
the cabin isn't in the center of the car?