[DeTomaso] Track Suspension Suggestions

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Oct 20 21:20:08 EDT 2013

In a message dated 10/20/13 17 16 42, scott at saccrestorations.net writes:

> I am going to the track in a few weeks and am looking for some
> suggestions on possible Camber setting changes.
>
> Last time I was at the track, ALL four tires seemed to be overheating at
> the outside edge of each tire.
>
> I'm wondering if I should try a tire pressure change or maybe give it some
> negative Camber?
>

>>>Where are you starting, camber-wise?

The factory recommendations work well for the street for even tire wear and
decent roadholding, etc., but if the car is pushed hard, the outsides of
the tires will heat up as you saw.

The wider the tires, the less negative camber you want.   Original-size,
skinny tires with tall sidewalls can use a ton of negative camber, but if you
do that to modern-sized tires, you can wind up with a much smaller contact
patch than you want, which interferes with braking performance etc.   You
will want more than the standard recommendations, but not as much as you would
with skinny tires.

I just brought the Miata home from the alignment shop.   Last time I ran it
at the track, it had some snap oversteer at the exit of corners, and I was
getting excess heat at the outside edges of the tires relative to the
inside.   The pro recommendation to me was to increase the negative camber at the
rear by .5 degrees; that meant going from -2.1 to -2.6 degrees.

That would be quite a lot for a Pantera though, I think, especially
considering how wide the tires are....