[DeTomaso] Fuse box, what's your experience?

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Sun Oct 20 15:00:09 EDT 2013

I've installed several of these fuse panels with no installation problems, and I concur with all of the positive comments about the PE fuse panel, and JP's heat gun suggestion helps.  I will add that removing some of the tape that is wrapped around the wire bundle also helps with "massaging" the wires after their 40+ year nap.

The fuse panel attachment on the '71 cars is via studs that are welded to the body.  Later cars have metric screws that attach the fuse panel to the body (unless someone has butchered the installation by using sheet metal screws).

Adding a spacer between the PE fuse panel and the body will allow better access to the fuses that are located near the fuse panel door tab.  One standard 1/4" nut worked as a quick spacer on the '71 cars.

On the cars with fuse panel mounting screws, a longer screw can be purchased if needed.

I will attempt to add a couple of pics.

John