[DeTomaso] Fuse box, what's your experience?

Chris Difani csdifani at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 04:04:26 EDT 2013

Mikael:

PE's fuse block is outstanding!  I've gone thru three different
"makes/styles" before I got to Jon's, and his is, without a doubt, the best
available.  For one thing, it's current tech.  Even if you take your old
OEM fuseblock, and convert it to the new ATO style fuses, you're still
stuck with badly balanced loads, no protection besides the fuses, no
self-testing, and you'd still have to use that second little block for the
power windows. Jon's are so well designed, and so much better than the OEM,
that it's not funny.

As for wiggling wires, the only reason to do that would be if you have a
questionable connection in the first place.  Or if the fuses have corroded
in place during the winter.  Jon's don't do that. The fuses, and their
sockets are not going to corrode over time (unless your parked on the beach
somewhere, and let the waves roll thru the cabin...).  The ATO fuses are
not made from materials that corrode, not like the original lead solder
fusible ceramic style fuses from the 1960's.

The fuse block installs as an exact replacement, and doesn't require any
tweaking, or modifications of the foot well area.  It's an exact size
replacement, and it works so very, very well.  When a fuse fails (say like
when a wire gets shorted by a nasty screwdriver) a red LED comes to life on
the fuseblock.  No hunting for the correct circuit, or anything like that.

Now if the wiring that connects to your current fuse block is failing (bad
insulation, bad connectors, etc.), then you may have "issues"... but that's
not the fuse block's "fault".  Otherwise I can't see any reason why you'd
need to get to the back of the fuseblock.  However, since it installs
exactly the same way as the OEM block is, you just rermove the two 5MM
bolts, and go on from there.

And that's my experience with the PE fuseblock (in fact I've got every
Pantera related product that P-E has, with the exception of his new
ignition system... and I'd be using that except my Ford 5.4L SOHC doesn't
use an external ignition system).

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"
5.4L SOHC intercooled, injected, and supercharged
Sacramento, CA
Email: csdifani at gmail.com