[DeTomaso] was: Interesting Flare & Spoiler-74 Pantera

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 19 17:06:36 EDT 2013

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade but conversions are an enormous
amount of work, so be aware of what you're signing up for. Gary Hall once brought
a '71 to 'Vegas Fun Rally for display. The car was a bare steel shell. It
had just received a set of steel GT5-S fenders and a new nose. I estimated
the shell had 25 FEET of skillfully done TIG welding beads that were yet to be
smoothed out. Today's prices for (non-factory) repo fenders & nose are
about $10,000 plus shipping. GT-5 flairs-only are a little cheaper. One
completed '72 clone GT5-S skillfully done 15 years ago by Mike Cook with a prisine
paint job, a wing and near-new 17" tires recently sold for $57,500. That's
roughly 2/3 the cost of a factory GT5-S, with the clone having arguably a
stronger chassis but smaller brakes and the early 2-pod dash. Good luck to
anyone who rescues a junker this way; too much for me either in time or money- J
Deryke