[DeTomaso] Engine Rebuild for 5332

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 16:28:47 EDT 2013

In a message dated 10/15/13 11 48 8, steve at snclocks.com writes:

> None the less, since I planned to replace pistons and rods, all will
> work.  Just a little sad it is already 0.030 over. Since my goal is a driver
> with a bullet proof engine will likely go with aluminum heads along with
> everything else to allow a little bit higher compression ratio.  Oh the fun
>

>>>As long as the block is good, if you're determined to replace the
pistons and rods anyway, for just a bit more you can stretch to a stroker kit and
gain a noticeable increase in power/torque.

Testing the block is important.   For my 408 stroker, I got a block from
Dan that had a nick in one bore but was original bore.   The thought was that
it could be bored .030 over and that nick would clean up--which was true.
But prior to boring, testing revealed that such boring would result in a
dangerously thin cylinder wall elsewhere in the block, so the decision was made
to sleeve that hole.

I would suggest that most engine builders are not conscientious enough to
do such testing, and just go hog wild with the boring bar, so you could find
that you are already at the limit.   In that case, you might wind up
sleeving a cylinder or two and leaving the rest of the bores alone (or gently
honing them) if they are otherwise in good shape.   Don't plan on boring it any
larger though.