[DeTomaso] E-brake cables

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Oct 15 15:51:32 EDT 2013

In a message dated 10/15/13 8:49:21 AM, steve at snclocks.com writes:

> I assume that since the trans is out I should replace the front and
> half-shaft seals  - are these standard oil seals or something special thathas to
> be gotten from a special vendor.  If so, any recommendations?

The seals and side bearings are about the only parts of a ZF that ARE
generic. Normally, halfshaft seals should not need messing with unless there's a
leak from the area. Replacing them requires unbolting the side covers,
undoing a series of snap-rings and pulling the stub axles, bearings and shims
before you can get to the seals. If you're not careful, you'll tear the
side-cover gaskets and there are no generic equivalents.
Using non-ZF side gaskets changes the bearing preload inside
thedifferential, causing gear noise and wear. The nose seal can be worse- some are glued
in with really tough cement. I've taken a few out in pieces and almost had to
remachine the cavity to allow a new seal to drop in. Again, if it alin't
leaking, leave it alone. I would carefully pull the cover & check for safety
wire on the ring gear bolts.

E-brake cable routing can be done in various ways but rubbing the steel oil
pan is not bad; allowing them to hang down ready to snag road debris can be
bad. Good luck- J Deryke