[DeTomaso] E-brake cables

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 14:09:20 EDT 2013

I just replaced all of the major seals in my ZF.   As long as you don't mix up the shims below the side cover carrier races, you shouldn't have to re-do any differential placement if you choose to replace the stub axle seals.  I verified this with Lloyd Butfoy of RBT and Dennis Quella.

Replacing axle seals and other seals requires a press at the least.  The difficulty of servicing the ZF is really in the special tools required and experience to know what to do, in my opinion.  I know people who sent their side covers, one at a time, to Dennis for service for fear of messing something up but it isn't that difficult to do with the right tools and a phone call.

The rear cover, however, is the tricky one.  In fact, it isn't removed normally during disassembly until the case is split between front and rear.

Corey