[DeTomaso] Squeaky suspension

Doug Scott doug at pickbbs.com
Sun Oct 13 12:08:47 EDT 2013

Problem with just putting zerks into the strap or mount that poly bushings
sit or ride in is that there needs to be a channel or sufficient space
around the bushing for the grease to flow into it.
I have always used motorcycle chain lube for poly bushings.  The best stuff
I found was this stuff from Dupont for chains.  I think it is not meant for
motorcycle chains though, but rather machine chains and bicycle chains.  It
goes on very runny, creeps really good into joints when first sprayed, and
as the carrier evaporates off, what is left is a Teflon based lubricant that
is a bitch to wipe off without solvents.  Also, once carrier is gone, dirt
won't stick to it, and other contaminants cannot creep in.  I would spray it
during assembly, and if noise appeared later on I would loosen clamps, and
remove springs/spindles on the front suspension to allow me to move control
arms through their range of motion while spraying lubricant.  In the 5 years
that I had a vehicle with the bushings in it, I had to do the re-lube twice.
I tried it once to just spray without disassembly and found it would not get
in deep enough.
It has been a while since I bought my last cans.  I just found this week
that they changed the formula, and dropped the "dry wax" statement from the
can.  The dry wax part is what stopped it from holding dirt. I also see that
they have added a motorcycle specific part number as well.  I no longer have
a vehicle with poly bushings.  My suggestion would be to use the motorcycle
version.

Doug