[DeTomaso] Squeaky suspension

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Oct 13 10:37:31 EDT 2013

Dear Mike,

            A Second Opinion on Squeaky Poly Bushings

         Twenty years ago, when I converted both Panteras to poly bushings,
I suffered the dreaded Squeaky Bushing Syndrome.

          At that time in the distant past, the recommended remedy was
placement of zerk fittings to grease the rascals.  I did that and it seems
to have worked given the decibel level of my engines and the acuity of my
hearing.  They have received re-greasing every few or several years, even
though there was no obvious creaking and squeaking.

          Well after the suspensions were done and fitted with zerks, the
Anti-Seize Goop remedy was discovered. An improvement, I believe, if applied
during installation.

        The latest development is this special Poly Lube, which again is
best used with installation.  If the Poly Lube comes in a grease gun tube,
then I would probably use it the next time I feel like lubing the
suspension.  If it doesn't come in a form compatible with a grease gun and
zerk fittings, then good ol' automotive grease has worked pretty well for
about a total of 40 years (2 Panteras x 20 years).

                        Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles