[DeTomaso] Shifter fix

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Thu Nov 28 09:34:04 EST 2013

My experience with improving stiff shifter movement is different than
the honorable and well intentioned Mr. Drew.

1) It is easy to remove the shifter assembly from the car.  Do so,
disassemble it, clean and reassemble with lightweight engine assembly
lube. 00 weight I think.  I disagree with Mike regarding removal of the
centering spring as it presents no problem to shifting when properly
lubricated.  You will be surprised at how much dirt has collected in the
rather protected area. That and hardened grease are the enemy, not the
spring and centering detent. On many cars, the dirt acting as a grit has
grooved the surface that the detent is supposed to glide upon.  If you
are handy, you can repair this surface with sanding and polishing.  If
you are incapable of the task, this is a circumstance where removing the
spring and detent may be a better solution.

2) The biggest obstacle to smooth shaft movement is the collection of
hardened grease and dirt in the accordion gasket and on the shaft where
the shaft passes through the firewall.  If you can clean that gasket out
as well as the area of the shaft that passes through it, you will be
amazed at the improvement.  Any permanent lubrication added here will
work for a limited time as it is such a dirty environment.  I recommend
no lubrication or the occasional spray of WD40 which will help keep the
surface clean.  This is my first go to spot when someone complains of
stiff shifting and it corrects most of the problem almost every time.

3) Same approach with the trunion.  No grease, keep shifter shaft clean
with occasional spray of WD40.  Any lube will attract dirt on the first
drive and that will behave as sandpaper wearing the bushing even
faster.  The WD40 acts as a cleaning agent before it evaporates away and
is not longer a dirt magnet.

Happy Thanksgiving
J, happy shifter, T