[DeTomaso] Shifter fix

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 28 04:09:13 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/27/13 10 41 3, dan at excaliburre.com writes:

> At the track Sunday we removed the snap ring, the cover plate and an
> extremely rusty and crusty spring. I thought that was the whole assembly but
> now I see there's a cylinder at the bottom of the shaft. I'll try and pry
> this up and out.
>
>>>It's probably not acting much on the system, but you might as well ditch
it too.

<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" TYP> > Between removing the spring and spraying WD 40 on the trunnion bearing
> The Beast shifter much better, for about ten laps, then went back to the
> stage where I'm having to force it into gear (mainly 2nd and 3rd).
>
>>>WD40 is way, way too light for this task.   It wasn't even originally
designed to be a lubricant; it's a water displacement fluid (WD).   Only
secondarily did they discover that it was pretty good at eliminating squeaks in
door hinges and the like.

But what you need is grease, not WD.

> > I was wondering if the gear oil was breaking down due to heat. My next
> planned post was to ask for advice on gear oil.
>
>>>Not a chance. :>)

> > I suppose it's also possible the WD-40 wore out.
>
>>>Really, it's the wrong tool for the job.   I use aerosol lithium grease,
and it needs redoing every now and again.