[DeTomaso] NPC: Boss 302, was 'List up?'

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 13:25:49 EST 2013

Tom,

I haven't had a chance to drive a Boss 302...
I've read the same though... It's a better car for all around road
performance.

I had the GT500 on the track one day at the Fun Rally. I was impressed that
it cornered as well as it did.

It is the first car I've had where I'm almost ready to admit there is a
thing as too much HP?
Note clearly that I said 'almost'!!!!

You have to be on dry *concrete *pavement to get the tires to hook up...
I'm already on my second set of tires at 11,000 miles.
On asphalt, forget it.... You can break the tires loose in 3rd with no
drama.

I was not impressed at all with those Goodyears they had on it.
Went with some Pilot SuperSports this time around. Better in the rain, less
wandering with grooves on the road and MUCH quieter.

Heading for 18,000 miles already. Wearing it out as my daily driver, but
having fun doing it.
I am also impressed with how well they handle the live rear axle.
You have to beat it hard for it to hop.

I'm averaging 17.5mpg in stop and go traffic to work and back.
Averaged 21.5 mpg on the trip to Chandler and back.

Complaints?
The really firm suspension can really get annoying on crappy roads.
The seats are manual. (A thread on the GT500s forum shows how to change
them to electric with around $350 worth of parts).
It does NOT like to be bogged around in slow stop and go traffic. It will
start bucking in low gear if you're going too slow, so you have to keep
that clutch working to keep your sanity.

The best part? Laying into the throttle at 60mph in 2nd and watch two black
marks following you up the road. Man, it goes....

Now back to your regularly scheduled Pantera stuff.

Y'all have a nice Thanksgiving!

Kirby