[DeTomaso] List up?

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Nov 25 12:24:24 EST 2013

I received your message loud and clear!

Here's some entertainment:  I took Pandora out for a spin yesterday because the weather was sunny and crisp.  I got about a mile from home when the accelarator pedal went to the floor--the throttle-cable coupling had come apart!

Luckily, I was able to idle off the main road onto a side street, and park.  I took off the plastic panel on the forward console and had a look.  The little threaded rod and the metal cylinder attatched to the end of the throttle cable had parially stripped, so when I tried to screw the rod back into the cable end, it just kept turning.

I really didn't want to call a flatbed, since I had a time schedule to keep, and the thought of trying to drive by pulling the cable by hand seemed an invitation to disaster.  So, I decided to try a Red Green solution.  Using my handy leatherman tool, I bent the threaded rod slightly.  Once that was done, I screwed it into the cylinder, and because it was bent, there was enough purchase with the remaining threads that it stayed screwed-in enought to allow me to gingerly apply pressure to the accelerator pedal without it coming out.

I made it home, and now I just have to figure out the best way to fix it.  The cable is fairly new, so I don't want the expense or hassle of replacing it again.  I may just drill a small hole through the cylinder and rod and use a pressure pin to keep them connected.

At least I now I have something to do during my Christmas vacation...

Sincerely,

Chris

PS:  speaking of things to do, yesterday was the 11th year for a wacky fundraiser I started called "Woodstick," where over the years we've broken the Guinness world Record three times, and raised a lot of money for charity.  Check out the video the Tacoma News Tribune has on their Internet page today:

  http://www.thenewstribune.com/2013/11/24/2912715_a2912715/the-big-bang-woodstick-2013.html