[DeTomaso] Insurance increase

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 07:34:44 EST 2013

I understand their logic.

How many stories have we heard about someone wrecking a modified car
(Pantera or otherwise) because they couldn't handle the HP?

And sometimes they do it on a track, and claim it happened on the way to the
track.

Or they wreck showing out, and call it an accident.

A car engineered for the HP (vs. modified by owner) should be safer, and
while it is true that it isn't always, it is a reasonable assumption made by
Hagerty.

Hagerty could rely on actual losses, bet it is cheaper to make this
assumption.

Think about your USAA insurance.  When USAA was founded, the assumption was
that Army/Air Force officers would have lower losses, due to being more
responsible.  For the first several years, officers got money back.  Their
subscriber savings account (SSA) grew, collected interest, and the interest
was greater than their actual losses.  So, if you had USAA insurance, your
net cost was negative.  But then USAA grew, the membership qualifications
expanded, USAA hired adjusters, etc., just like a normal insurance company.
Now they are even advertising on TV.  And the rates and coverage is only
slightly better than most insurance companies.

My point is USAA is still an excellent company, but their original plan
wasn't fair.  All officers are not responsible.  But most are, so that's
what allowed them to provide great rates.
--
Will