[DeTomaso] Insurance increase

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 21 13:28:50 EST 2013

I think all insurers have gotten wise to the increased interest and their risk associated with HDPE type events and very few if any would cover on track time.

When I first got the Ultima, American Classic wanted photos as they had no clue what it was, having seen the photos they said it looked like a race car and sent me a disclaimer to sign saying that I would not use it for "racing or timed events". It was sepcific to that car and they never questioned the Pantera's or GT40.

I know Grundy has an exclusion that the car is not covered as soon as you arrive at any racing venue, not even in a paddock parking area and Heacock definitely won't cover you on track.

I have not pushed on that question with BJ, but if you have to ask then you are going to get an answer you don't want and I think it is reasonable to assume that on any racing surface your insurance is invalidated. That said there are entities that offer on track coverage per event if you wnat piece fo mind, but usually cost is in teh raneg of $100 per $10,000 of insurnace coverage.

Unfortunately one of our local guys totalled a Nissan GTR early this year at Reno-Fernley and found out the hard way he was out of pocket $70K.

Julian