[DeTomaso] Front trunk fuel cell?

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Mon Nov 18 14:51:29 EST 2013

Porsche 911's have always had their fuel tanks in front of the passenger
compartment and it certainly hasn't hurt their success when raced! From a
pure dynamic standpoint, the best place to "stuff" fuel tanks would be in
the rocker panels, like the original Ford GT40. A few years ago, I saw a
Pantera that had two ten gallon fuel tanks; one where the OEM tank normally
resides and the other on the opposite side. The two tanks were connected by
a fairly large tube and the filler and pumps were located in the main tank.
This is exactly the same as the fuel tank(s) arrangement in a Ferrari F40.
If I recall, these dual tanks were made by Rick's Tanks in El Paso, TX.