[DeTomaso] Cleveland book by George Reid

Mikael mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk
Sun Nov 17 17:18:00 EST 2013

Some asked for a review. Well I haven't read it yet, and I'm not going to.

I read the Introduction, looked at all the pictures and read the captions.
And then I had planned to read it. But I was put off by the very subjective
view of the qualities of the Cleveland design and by the firm solid
statements that I find questionable. And of course that the same things are
repeated, American books have to be llllooooonnnnnnggggg, I know.

In the introduction there's a comment on some of the weak points people say
about the Cleveland: "The engineers knew what they were doing, we just don't
understand" (not verbatim). And no mention of the questionable oiling
system. That's not objective IMHO

A comment like: "You don't need long tube headers for great breathing.
Shorty headers do the job just as well" is questionable I think

And stating that "You can make just as much power with a Ford for the same
amount of money you can with a Chevrolet" sounds like he hasn't opened a
Summit catalog and checked the prices recently.

I sound negative, and yes, it's disappointing that this is more like fan
mail than facts, not the kind of book I was hoping for. I won't read it
cover to cover, but if I'm  in the market for, say, a new set of head, I'll
read that chapter, for inspiration more than facts.

YMMV, and I haven't read the whole book, but you asked for it.

Mvh/Regards

Mikael