[DeTomaso] OPTIMA CHALLENGE

richard boschert theemonkey at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 21:47:28 EST 2013

Small update to the official standings.Apparently,Bob has moved up one spot to 27th.

Not bad considering he was competing against some really expensive and well built cars.Some had huge semi trailers with lifts,lounges and machine shops.Some of them were needed and used.Bob's car was really well prepared.All we did was play with the tire pressure and lower the rear float bowl on the carb.He has an angled intake manifold that has not been shaved.

One area that hurt his point standings was that the car was not modified enough!It makes sense on their side as they are trying to promote sales from the sponsors.It just shows how good the Pantera is ,as the car did really well without a huge list of upgrades.Oh and the car was cleaned a lot!I have several pictures of Bob wiping the car down all day.

Everyone loved the car.Spectator's,press,and other teams.Talked to at least a dozen Pantera owners,which is really good percentage as i believe the spectator count was only around 200 people.Cameras were everywhere.Including flying drone helicopter cameras.So many pictures taken.Especially when the deck lid was opened.180 headers really draw a crowd!

I think we might have killed the myth about Pantera's over heating.The rally the night before was done on the Las Vegas strip during friday night rush hour.12 miles in an hour and a half.I think Bob said the temp gauge made it up to 190 degrees. Lots of exposure to the tourists on the strip.Tons of pictures taken.All i saw were flashes from cameras when looking for street signs.

It was a blast,and i would be happy to play crew chief slash gopher again.

Thanks,Bob!

Richard #5919