[DeTomaso] warning regarding yellow jug Prestone antifreeze

Pantdino pantdino at aol.com
Thu Nov 14 18:30:43 EST 2013

Tommy said he uses Prestone antifreeze so I stopped by Pep Boys to see what's in it.

Actually the yellow jug and the Dex Cool version of Prestone HAVE THE SAME INGREDIENTS-- despite the yellow one saying its for all cars.

The "organic" (OAT) ingredients in those have been reported to cause problems in cars not designed for them.

In my Dino I noted black crud at the filler neck in the expansion tank when I switched to it and it disappeared when I switched away from it-- seems to me the organic elements were reacting with air to form a crud of some kind.

I use the Zerex G-05 which is "hybrid" organic and apparently has shorter carbon chains in its anticorrosion chemicals.

Some of the brands' bottles didn't even say what was in them!

Jim