[DeTomaso] Pantera spanks 'em down under

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Nov 13 23:53:25 EST 2013

Hi guys,

I got an e-mail from Rusty French; he's the owner of one of the 14 original
factory Gr4 race Panteras (he has had it since 1975!), as well as a pair of
Euro GTS Panteras that have been set up for vintage racing (nominally Gr3
spec).

He got a little aggressive with the tech, and was running fiberglass
panels, but he was recently yanked back into line and was forced to run stock body
panels.   He wrote:

=====

            I thought you might like to know that I ran the Pantera GTS
last weekend with great results , I had to run steel panels, engine cover and
front bonnet instead of fiberglass , however we got the job done regardless
and broke my last years lap record by 1.34 seconds ,

 Regards Rusty French

=====

Not only did he break his personal best lap time, but he qualified third
out of a field of 40 starters (against everything from Corvettes to Shelbys to
Porsche 911s, as well as smaller cars like Alfas and Triumphs, and also
another Pantera).

There were three races that weekend, and his results were:

Race 1:   First place
Race 2:   First place
Race 3:   First place

Not bad!   Everybody who was grumbling about his 'unfair advantage' in the
past had to pretty much slink back to their trailers and go home!