[DeTomaso] My Report arrived

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Nov 13 21:16:38 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/13/13 17 31 29, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> So the next question is, where did they park hundreds, if not 1,000 cars
> Between the build date and the release date?
>

>>>The 1971 Panteras were all subjected to a massive recall/retrofit
campaign.   Those few in owners hands were brought back to the dealers (and in
some cases, repaired in the owner's driveway), but the majority of the cars had
not yet reached the dealer's hands.   They were taken to Bill Stroppe's
shop on Signal Hill, in Long Beach, where they were torn apart and
comprehensively rebuilt and modified.   (I believe there was at least one or two east
coast facilities for this as well, perhaps Holman-Moody, although Stroppe is
the only one I know about for sure).

I have internal Ford memos that show, on a month-by-month basis, how many
Panteras are undergoing retrofit, how many are released to the dealers, how
many are at the dealerships waiting to be sold, etc. etc.   Almost no 1971
Panteras were available for delivery until well into the 1971 calendar year,
and buyers had to wait many, many months.   Richard Barkley comes to mind--he
still owns his yellow '71 that he bought new; he bought it in May of '71 as
soon as they were available for purchase, and took delivery in December.