[DeTomaso] High priced Pantera for sale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 8 18:38:14 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/8/13 14 02 52, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Even at 25.00 an hour, that's a $50,000.00 paint job.
>  1) my mechanic just did a rot. Restoration of an Amelia Island winning
> SWB 4 Cam 275 Ferrari last year and that paint job was $35,000.
>  He charges much more per hour as well....
>  So....cough...cough....BS....
>  It looks great ( needs bumpers) and I hope he gets every penny.
>

>>>Back in the 1980s I remember reading an article, I think in Car &
Driver, called "The $125,000 Paint Job".   It profiled Junior's House of Color, a
stupid expensive body shop in So-Cal that prided itself on being stupidly
expensive.   Yes, they did great work, but they charged an outrageous amount
for it.   It became a badge of honor to pay too much for a great paint job.
Nothing left their shop for under $100K, but for a brief time, the value of
the car would be raised by a like amount.

A very brief time!

When POCA was relatively young, they put on a big-shot concours called the
Newporter Invitational, and people would spend upwards of $100K to get a
Junior paint job on their Pantera in the hopes of winning a $35 trophy.   So
*some* Panteras got that treatment.   One of them is owned by our own Chris
Difani, who got a screaming deal on the car a few years back...long after that
brief time had passed!