[DeTomaso] MartiReport Compliation Update 11-7-13 @ 12:15 p.m.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 7 21:54:14 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/7/13 18 22 41, tmshinro at aol.com writes:

> Would the production numbers on the Marti reports include cars sold
> outside of the US directly by Detomaso?
>
> Wondering if my 73 Euro GTS is in the 73 production numbers.
>

>>>Absolutely not.   By definition, your car is a EURO car, and thus never
entered the USA as a new car.   The Marti reports detail each individual car
that was built for Ford for distribution in the USA, and the data was
almost assuredly collated when the cars arrived in the USA, rather than in Italy
(although I freely admit that's a big guess on my part).

Marti has one record for each USA-market car; by analyzing them as a group,
he's able to come up with the various statistics we're speaking of now.

Remember, Ford ran the Turin and Modena production facilities by 1973, and
De Tomaso was merely a customer.   He would order cars to satisfy orders in
Europe and elsewhere, and his cars would be inserted into the normal
production run, and most would be built to different specifications than the normal
Ford cars.   A buyer (or Euro distributor ordering a car on spec with hopes
of selling to a customer eventually) could and would chose normal or vented
brakes, normal or Gr3 swaybars, standard or GTS paint scheme/interior, etc.
etc.

This is why your car differs in numerous details from a normal 'Ford'
Pantera, and why I was able to pinpoint it as a Euro GTS the moment I saw it,
even before you lifted the hood and showed me all the European build tags.