[DeTomaso] Rear sway bar

John Donahue demongusta at me.com
Wed Nov 6 02:08:29 EST 2013

Thank you all. You saved me a lot of frustration. It's all about finding the sweet - happy spot whereby your fingers can finish the job. And primary to that, as in all things, it's the proper sequence. Loosening the rear center brackets slightly, shows you immediately what direction to move the right and left suspension to find the sweet spot based on the gap (top or bottom) between the bracket and the chassis cross-piece. When I first loosened the center brackets, the nuts backed off, but the brackets were askew, having a larger gap top and/or bottom. Then, by elevating the right and left lower A-arms with a couple scissor jacks, I brought them to a point where the center brackets could be "jiggled" by hand - the sweet spot- when that point is found, you have found the "strap" sweet spot also. Now, I have the billet chunks with the spherical poly%#*+~€ stuff as a pivot. I would think this would pivot easily, but it won't. Soooo, before the VICE, any suggestions on THAT one? How about a special lubricant between the ball and the housing? Or maybe mounting the billet chunk in a vice, slipping the end of the sway bar through it, and gently prying - trying to get a pivoting action, as I am sure it was intended. Penetrating oil? Then pry?
Thanks again,
Jack