[DeTomaso] Kjell Qvale

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 02:20:31 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/4/13 12 35 31, gow2 at rc-tech.net writes:

> http://www.sportscardigest.com/remembering-kjell-qvale-1919-2013/
>

>>>He was truly a remarkable guy.   I got to interview him many years ago
when the De Tomaso Mangusta project was first launched (which quickly turned
into the Qvale Mangusta, and just as quickly slipped beneath the waves).   I
was struck not only by how friendly he was, but how passionate he was about
cars, and how frank he was about some of the stupid decisions he had made
over the years, being blinded by this passion.   Although he was talking
about the Jensen years at the time, I couldn't help but think at the time that
his De Tomaso project was very much in the same vein.

Everybody here owns a tremendous debt to him, for he, more than anybody
most likely, really brought sports cars into the limelight in the USA, and
helped make the entire notion of a sports car (not to mention an import cars
such as a VW) much more mainstream.

He lived to be 94 years old, and was still going to work, although perhaps
not every day.   He was sharp as a tack, too.   A great role model for all
of us....