[DeTomaso] Top Sports Cars of the 70's

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Nov 5 02:20:34 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/4/13 5 22 2, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Panteras are on the list.
>  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Car_International_Top_Sports_Cars
>

>>>That magazine is now sadly defunct, but it had several tangential
Pantera connections.

The former editor was Jay Lamm; his father is a well-known serial Pantera
owner named Michael Lamm, who has owned four Panteras over the years.   His
most recent one was a yellow L-model with a black center stripe; I helped him
sell it through Claude Dubois to a French client and later saw it at Le
Mans Classic.   Jay made a name for himself by leaving the editorial chair and
founding the 24 Hours of Lemons series.   At the last Lemons race at Sears
Point, I spotted Michael wandering around and spoke with him for awhile.   I
see him in Monterey each year and he's very easy to spot, as he wears a
distinctive baseball hat with a blown V8 perched on top of it, about six inches
tall!

On the website, the car chosen to show what a Pantera is, is an odd yellow
thing.   But in the magazine, the car they chose was a mint white Pre-L
owned by PCNC member Paul DaCruz; by coincidence, Paul was the advertising
director for the Ross family of periodicals, including this magazine.

And finally, I had a couple of articles printed in SCI about eight years
ago--one was on Le Mans and the other on a rally I took across Europe in my
GT350 clone.   Sadly, the magazine was chronically underfunded and extremely
poorly managed and never made a dime; it was a vanity project for the
publisher, who sadly couldn't be convinced to enter even the 20th century when it
comes to marketing and advertising, and eventually it folded....