[DeTomaso] Front mount A/C

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 3 14:18:31 EST 2013

In a message dated 11/3/13 6 49 10, jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com writes:

> As a seller, you may be better going to the stock location as I doubt any
> buyers would view that as a negative element of their buying decision
> while someone looking for a car that they could easily revert back to stock in
> the future may see it as a negative.  My point being that your universe of
> buyers may be larger with stock location.
>

>>>I think it all depends on the nature of the car.   If the car is a true
concours original example, then retaining an original setup is paramount.
But if a car has already been subjected to a number of
modifications/improvements (as Ian's car has), then the potential for superior performance would
trump originality.   If the cost delta is relatively little, you'd probably
be better off going for a front-mounted system, as you could advertise that
it blows COLD, rather than a stock system, where perhaps at best you could
identify that it's THERE.

Too, you already have a Fluidyne radiator and sucker fans, so you're well
on the way.   Bobby Byars sells a drop-in setup consisting of a condensor to
go in front of the Fluidyne radiator, plus all necessary hoses, dryer, etc.
making it a pretty straightforward installation.

At the end of the day though, you have to ask yourself if the increased
cost would be offset by a higher selling price.   The answer is probably no.
If profit is all you're after, you're probably better off selling the car
as-is and letting the buyer sort it out.   Or alternately, selling the car
as-is, letting the buyer then pay for the additional A/C components himself,
and perhaps you get the stuff installed and sorted out here before it goes to
him.

I would make sure you have a deal in hand before you spend any money,
however.