[DeTomaso] Alternate dip-stick location

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Fri Nov 1 10:20:33 EDT 2013

I am planning to incorporate a dip-stick to the driver’s side rear of the
new pan for 5332.  If I had been thinking ahead I would have shot some
pictures from above of the area between the camber bar and the back driver’s
side corner of the motor.  I wasn’t thinking.  Could one of you kind souls
shoot a couple of pictures and send them to me at steve at snclocks.com?  If
you happened to have a tape measure laid so it showed the dimension between
the bar and the back of the head, all the better!

And yes, I fully realize I am likely wasting money and time having a pan
made when such excellent ones are available.  But I want the bottom of the
pan up ¾ inch to clear the brake cables and I want the pan sump extended to
give extra capacity.  My engine builder has done this many times and his
price is very competitive with the aftermarket pans.

Speaking of engines – has anyone on the forum tried the trick described on
page 58 of Reid’s Ford 351 Cleveland Engines book of drilling a 0.020” hole
in the oil galley end plug as shown in the picture.  It directs a stream of
hot oil to the timing set.  Seems like a good idea?

I finished said book last night and typed up my notes for things to keep in
mind as I go through my engine.  If any of you would like a copy of my
notes, send me a note offline – they are in Excel and only cover the things
that were not obvious to me before I read the book.  If you are debating if
the book is worth buying this might give you an idea of what it offers –
which includes lots and lots of great pictures of every detail discussed.

OK, another question – what is the preferred vibration dampener for a 351C?
I am targeting street operation and good low to midrange torque in the
rebuild.

Stephen Nelson

SNClocks.com <http://www.snclocks.com/>

Click here to join one of our mailing lists Contact
<http://fs19.formsite.com/kagforms/form675003155/index.html>  Lists

Click here for our new
<http://www.snclocks.com/TheRestofourWorld/Hammered-Dulcimers/About-Steves-D
ulcimers/19824807_4sHGgj#1558377542_LKmkrT7> Hammered Dulcimers galleries

Click here for my new blog <http://www.perfectoldman.com/>  on finding
happiness in retirement