[DeTomaso] It was bound to happen

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu May 30 14:56:36 EDT 2013

I've had the same experience with Sears DieHard "Gold" batteries - crappy product with a mediocre (but deceivingly 'good') warranty.  Every DieHard battery I've put into one of my cars has Died Hard and left me stranded, before the rated warranty period was up. When I've taken it in to Sears for a "Free" replacement I've found that the replacement value is prorated. Therefore, I got to spend another $100+ to get another crappy battery to leave me stranded in another 3 years - it's happened!

The last DieHard I owned literally EXPLODED, and made a hell of a mess of my Mustang's fully restored and concours detailed engine compartment; battery acid went everywhere!  And again, I was left stranded.  I took the split battery remains to Sears and was offered the opportunity to pay another $100+ under the prorated warranty for a replacement. No thanks!  I walked 2 blocks down the street to a local auto parts store and spent less than $40 on a 'cheap' 3-year battery, which gave me 10 years of trouble free service.

I might try the DieHard Platinum if it's truly a repackaged Odyssey. But I'll  NEVER buy any other Sears DieHard battery!

YMMV!
Garth