[DeTomaso] Fiberglass Decklid Musings

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Sun May 26 19:14:13 EDT 2013

A while back we were talking about decklid gas spring/shocks for
fiberglass decklid. I measured the pivot points and did a weight and
balance to see what I needed.

I ordered them from McMAster-carr. They have a good variety not just in
length but each is available in many force/weight options.

The first set I ordered were a little too long so I ended up ordered a
shorter set which is number #9416K16. They are only 60lbs and so far they
are ideal for the fiberglass decklid. It is nice having a lighter decklid
as it is not necessary to have crazy strong shocks.

The shocks are only $13 each (plus hardware) so I also ordered a set of
70lb shocks. If in hot weather I find these are a little on the weak side
I can swap them out. I don't see it right now. The 60's seem to hold it up
nice and firm.

I made some simple brackets but I ended up getting one of the exted ball
ends as I needed to move the top over a little to clear the roll bar when
the decklid is closed.

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/decklid/DL1.jpg

The latch is an aftermarket latch I adapted which is working well. I
started to run the cable and was not happy with how it was going. I was
trying to route it in the wheel well too close to the exhaust and it was
not working out well.

I went to the local hot rod shop and got an electric actuator. I burried
the actuator up under the tail light which was a perfect spot.

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/decklid/DL3.jpg

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/decklid/DL4.jpg

I have a cover for the rear latch but it needs a little more tweaking so
I'll make another:

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/decklid/DL2.jpg

Gary