[DeTomaso] Pantera gas tank

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu May 23 12:27:41 EDT 2013

In a message dated 5/22/13 22 16 56, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> HI I OWN A GARAGE IN SPRING LAKE NJ..JUST GOT IN A 1974 PANTERA
> DETAMASO..HAVE TO OVERHALL THE ENTIRE CAR..HOW LONG TO DROP THE GAS TANK..ANY HELP
> WOULD BE APPRECIATED..PAT
>
>>>If you've never done it before and are working alone, figure two hours
to pull the engine and gearbox combination (they come out as a unit).   Once
that's done, it's a matter of minutes to lift the tank out; it is secured
with a simple strap.

The '74 Pantera will have an outside fuel filler, so there will be a rubber
hose connecting the filler with the tank neck.   The alignment of those two
is not optimal and the hose can suffer.

If the car is suffering from fuel leaks, it's quite possible that the only
problem is this hose. Dave in North Carolina thought he had a bad fuel tank,
and happily discovered the tank was fine, and only the hose was leaking:

So, unless you know for a fact the tank is compromised, check here first!

If you are removing the tank, you should replace this hose as a matter of
course.   While it is possible to replace the hose with the tank in place, it
is a real pain, and it would be silly to pull the tank and then reinstall
it with a 40-year-old hose.

Good luck!