[DeTomaso] Dash Removal

Ian Hannington ihannington286720mi at comcast.net
Sat May 18 11:46:42 EDT 2013

Wow, that will certainly help me.
THANKS!
Ian

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Thomas [mailto:mbefthomas at comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:20 AM
To: 'Ian Hannington'; detomaso at poca.com
Subject: RE: [DeTomaso] Dash Removal

Ian, the attached was sent to me by Rob Dumoulin for removing a two pod dash
(likely won't post to the forum).  I have just pulled my single pod dash,
and it is much easier than this appears to have been.  You will have to undo
the molex connector as described on the first page after drop the steering
column.

In brief sequence to augment the PDF attachment:
- Remove the steering wheel
- Drop the steering column after disconnecting the appropriate wires and
marking on a diagram
- Left to right, remove/disconnect wiper and washer switch, disconnect red
connector block for the e-flasher, remove speedo and tack (big difference
from two pod dash is that wires are all done on connector blocks for each),
so undo undo knurled nuts holding the brackets for each, slip out of the
dash, undo the speedo cable and connector blocks, and you're done.  If your
car is early enough not have the blocks, you'll need to be sure to mark on a
copy of the diagrams included in the above PDF where everything goes.
Follow the PDF for undoing the trip odometer cable from the dash (do not
take off the speedo).
- Disconnect/remove other switches and indicator lights from the dash,
marking all to aid in replacement
- Disconnect the two fasteners connecting the dash to the center stack
console
- Remove the glove box (open the box, and you'll find a large bolt on either
side at the back where they pivot)
- Remove the four screws attaching the lower edge of the dash to the
interior frame (one on either side of the steering column, one at either
outer corner)
- Open both doors wide, and look between the side of the dash panel and the
door post, and you'll see a large slotted screw head on each side (why they
used a single slot screw instead of a phillips or Allen head is beyond me).
These are two very long slender nuts that cinch down the outside ends of the
dash.  Remove these.
- At this point, you should be able to pull the dash back and out.  You will
need to stop and disconnect the four wires to the courtesy lights over the
gage panel.
AND YOU'RE DONE!

Big difference I found from the two-pod was block connectors for speedo,
tach and e-flasher, and no shims to worry about.

Good luck.  Give me a call if you get stuck.
Mike Thomas
206-795-3302