[DeTomaso] Mecum Indianapolis

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sat May 18 00:03:58 EDT 2013

Mike has an interesting viewpoint on the L vs. pre-L bumper question.
He grew up lusting after the L model, but when it came down to it, he
likes the pre-L and didn't do the swap after all.

In my case, I really liked the pre-L look of the bumperettes, but
thoroughly wanted the single pod dash of a later model car.  I kept
thinking I'd just remove the large L bumper and replace it with
bumperettes; that being easier than swapping the dash.

15 years on and I still have the L model bumper.... and I prefer it over
the bumperettes at this point.  I think it makes the car look faster,
sleeker; not necessarily sexier since it puts a more angular point on
the front than the smaller bumpers.

I think in each of our cases, what we thought we wanted was very true
but we came to accept the design for what it was and not necessarily
what we thought it should be.

That may be why I'm having a hard time putting that rear spoiler on....

Asa

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA