[DeTomaso] My Progress

gow2 at rc-tech.net gow2 at rc-tech.net
Tue May 7 17:47:08 EDT 2013

Well the wild ideas have cost me a few years of running time too.

I used to be heavy into R/C airplanes. I over did them as well. I spent
way too much time making things way too complicated. A guy would show up
with some pretty rough but large airplanes. P-51 with a 120cc twin, etc.
Everyone gave him a hard time about the way his stuff looked but I will
always remember that he was out there every weekend putting 10 flights on
stuff flying it like he stole it where I spent my time trying to take a
build to the 10th degree.

I keep telling myself there has to be some middle ground.

I used to participate in the scale contest. We have an old guy who has
been flying models since the Wright Brothers. He was my Pediatrician (he
hates it when I bring it up).

He would pull odd airplanes out of his actic and take them to competition.
He was never very competative and his models were usually challenging to
fly. I will always remember after he put on a full flight on a breezy day,
he ran every maneuver and he fought the cros wind to get his plane back on
the ground. His landings were a bit sketchy and when his competition
flight was over......The old man SKIPPED with JOY to go pick up the
airplane which made it back in once piece!

I always told myself, I never want to be first...what I want is that "skip
of Joy" no mater how things come out.