[DeTomaso] LED question

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Tue May 7 13:56:54 EDT 2013

I also have the Space City kit (rear only) that I purchased from John Taphorn in 2011.  The tail light lens is fully
illuminated and brighter than with the incandescent bulb.  While caravaning (both day and night) with other
Panteras, I have received comments about how much better illuminated my tail lights are (tail, brake, and turn signal).

Besides the previously mentioned advantages of LEDs (low current draw, low heat, longevity), LEDs illuminate
much faster than standard incandescent bulbs.

When selecting an LED bulb (besides the light intensity), there are two VERY important considerations:  1) the
LEDs MUST "face" perpendicular to the bulb's centerline, as well as facing out (away from the vehicle).  This type
of bulb is usually referred to as a "tower" bulb.   2) the color of the LEDs MUST be the same color as the lens that
will cover them (i.e.  red lens = red LEDs;  amber lens = amber LEDs).

The issue of the turn signal indicator light in the tach (when using LED bulbs) was addressed in the Space City
LED kit's instructions.  I discovered that the kit's instructions for this issue only worked on cars equipped with a
3-wire turn signal flasher, and not for cars equipped with a 4-wire flasher (early cars).  I sent JT info for using the
kit with the 4-wire flasher, which was to be added to the kit's instructions.

John