[DeTomaso] Intake Reversion

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Mon May 6 18:51:35 EDT 2013

I agree.

And if you are pinging at 22 degrees, you probably have a problem
somewhere.  For example, if you are sucking oil through a bad intake
gasket seal, you will ping early.

More likely, you are misreading the timing and vacuum.  Stock damper?  If
so, the outer ring has likely shifted.

Hard to diagnose over e-mail.

--
Will

On 5/6/13 1:44 PM, "Jeff Cobb" <jeffcobb1 at me.com> wrote:

>Sorry I sent to early.
>
>On May 6, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Jeff Cobb wrote:
>
>> Sean,
>> The problems that I read are that your timing only varies by 6 degrees
>>and does it at 5,000 not about 3,500 +- and that your dyno man came up
>>with a different number than you.
>> I thought this engine should run about 32 deg @ about 4,000+-?
>> The easiest thing to do is to ping test it.
>> The last time I did it on a Pantera was in 83 for a customer. I found
>>it to be so easy. Remove the firewall plate and mark and loosen
>>distributor, then max warm up the engine and short shift to third, then
>>max load it from 1,500 to 3,500  while turning the distributor to a
>>consistent ping then backing off about four degrees. Retest for no ping
>>then maybe back off another degree for good measure.
>Then your drive will confirm a diff or not. Then you can retest with the
>timing light for reference only.
>> Jeff Cobb
>> Cell 225-907-4514
>>

>> On May 5, 2013, at 8:21 PM, sean mundy wrote:
>>
>>> Jeff,
>>> I have a stock distributor with  Accel brand Optical points eliminator
>>>installed .  Standard coil and no vacuum advance connected to the
>>>distributor.  Here is the results I got this afternoon with my cheap
>>>vacuum gauge and timing light.
>>>
>>> IDLE is 1100rpm
>>>
>>> RPM	Vacuum	Timing
>>> 1100	8	18