[DeTomaso] LED question

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon May 6 14:56:14 EDT 2013

reduces the amperage way down and reduces heat and stress on 40 year old wiring.
The above statement is partially true, but nonetheless misleading.

The forty year old wire in our Panteras is just as serviceable as one year old wiring. It was sized according to the
needs of the designed circuit and without additions to the circuit, will retain its original capabilities and suitability.

Unless the insulation is damaged and corrosion of the conductor occurs, forty years of use will not affect the function of that wire.

There is no "stress" imparted on a properly secured conductor that would affect its long term performance.

The "heat" due to the amperage carried in a properly sized conductor will not affect its long term performance.

While a switchover to LED lighting will reduce the amperage (and thus the heat) carried on those conductors, the
switchover will do nothing to better preserve undisturbed forty year old wiring. Wiring does not "wear out" just due to its age.

However, forty year old connector terminals and grounding connections, as we all know by now, can and are
compromised by exposure to moisture and dirt and the resultant corrosion.

I have rear LED lighting on 2511. I have Jon Haas' fuse panel upgrade. I have forty year old wiring. I have clean
and secure connections.

But I do not have any original wiring that has suffered any loss of capabilities from forty years of "heat and stress".

My 2¢

Larry