[DeTomaso] Fun Rally Track Day!

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Fri May 3 15:09:10 EDT 2013

Fun Rally Track Day! (Eight days ago . . . .)

(track pictures courtesy Chuck Engles)

It seems every tech session is different, as is every track day.  But it is all for good reason, mechanical failures are no fun for anyone.

http://images43.fotki.com/v1505/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20132-vi.jpg

Firebird is a fun little track (1.6 miles) with a nice long straight section through the "concrete canyon."  My first time there, and I just didn't learn quick enough.  It has been 5 years since the Pantera has been given its head and the limits are much higher than the V8 Miata.

Those with mondo horsepower (over 600hp) were heard to complain about the lack of traction at the beginning of the straight (start line for the drag strip) and one could listen to the A group cars fighting for traction as they drove through this part of the track.  One can see the peeling paint on the track in this image.

http://images61.fotki.com/v439/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20131-vi.jpg

C group drivers had a couple of class room sessions at the beginning of the day - nice to have some fresh perspective on the activities and learn a few things.  During the day I learned why one is always told to drive the track and not the car in front of you! (Yeah, just about went down that primrose path right behind him.)  Luckily, that car was "a little" quicker than mine and had put a few feet on me before the excitement started . . .

It was a great day, and what Pantera ownership is all about for me.

http://images56.fotki.com/v774/photos/4/43175/1969865/funrally20136-vi.jpg

Tomorrow: the wrap up!

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 8294 (20130503) __________

http://www.eset.com