[DeTomaso] Intake Reversion

Jeff Cobb jeffcobb1 at me.com
Thu May 2 10:00:27 EDT 2013

Sean,
The vacuum is too low at that rpm and you are lean surging because the carb does not have a strong enough vacuum signal to work.
You are having reversion because the vacuum/exhaust flow combined with that cam does not create enough vacuum and flow to suck the air through and past the exhaust valve. On our motocross bikes of the 70's, we used reed valves to contain the wild overlaps of intake and exhaust.
A longer distance from the intake valve to the throttle plate will help, so the plate could help but that is just a cover up.
A vacuum to ignition timing based on rpm graph would show any deficiencies in the distributor or carb function through the entire range.

Increasing the primary jets will allow more fuel to flow if the air bleed is strong enough to help it flow.
Does this carb have interchangeable primary venturis or have I just seen too many Webers? If so, go smaller.
Advancing the ignition timing at that speed/load could cure your problem.

Hope this helps.

Jeff Cobb
Cell 225-907-4514

Jeff Cobb Auto Works