[DeTomaso] Police Deauville

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Mar 31 18:43:16 EDT 2013

In a message dated 3/31/13 14 11 30, wgeisler66 at gmail.com writes:

> According to their internet site they are exhibiting a Police Deauville:
> http://museoauto.poliziadistato.it/cronologia_1970.htm
> Not a standard police car, right?
>
>>>Jim Demick wrote a "Collector's Corner" piece on a model of this
Deauville.   I can only imagine it was some sort of VIP car?

When you go to the link above, look over to the right under "1979" to see
the Deauville, with two small photos and some information listed there.   The
Google translation of the bumf there is:

"Vehicle equipped with armor plating on 2nd level, used in representing
service and the transport of personality"

De Tomaso made quite a few armored Deauvilles, one of which inexplicably
wound up in Arizona, and was exhibited at Concorso Italiano many years ago.
It looked rather ordinary, but the bulletproof glass was really, really
thick, and of course it weighed much more than a regular car.   If you look
closely at the photos of the car in the link above, you can see that the
doorframes around the windows are extremely thick (the bulletproof glass is
partially lowered).