[DeTomaso] Oil Pressure Senders?

Chris Difani csdifani at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 02:52:42 EDT 2013

Guys:

One last detail, I've got that humongous 351C sender on my SVT 5.4L SOHC
modular engine.  I'm taking the pressure from the "supply" side of the
remote oil filter bracket.  The original sender that came from Moroso gave
me a "pinned" gauge, kinda like the traditional idiot light... I knew I had
pressure, but didn't have much of an idea as to how much.  Now that I've
got the 351C sender installed, my Veglia pressure gauge doesn't pin quite
so far.  It's not real accurate, but at least the needle is staying within
the gauge's range.

I've done some research, and learned that our Veglia gauges display 0 PSI
at 70 ohms, and 30 PSI at 20 ohms.  Now I need to research '70s vintage
European cars that also had Veglia gauges.  Then if I can obtain pressure
senders for same, I should be a little bit farther down the accuracy road.
My other option is to install (temporarily) a mechanical pressure gauge,
then tweak the electrical sender signal such that the Veglia gauge matches
(sorta) the mechanical gauge's results.

If anyone has reliable knowledge of other vintage Veglia gauged cars, I'd
appreciate the information.  Whatever knowledge that you have that will let
me wander into my local europarts store, and possibly buy the correct
pressure sender, will be much appreciated.

But even with a "more better" pressure sender, I'm certain that I'll do the
temp mechanical oil pressure gauge installation for comparison purposes.
I'll install both gauges at the same pressure point, and then do the
resistance tweaking to the Veglia until I've got a reasonably accurage
gauge... or at least a Veglia gauge that imitates a mechanical gauge.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"