[DeTomaso] shifter u joints->windshield installation

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Mar 26 03:27:32 EDT 2013

In a message dated 3/25/13 10:03:20 PM, mikael_hass at mail.tele.dk writes:

> I've got a new gasket from Roland, should be the good stuff. And a pro to
> help me. So I've spent the money to make it easy, but would also like the
> gooy stuff on both sides of the gasket to avoid leaks. Recommended?

Sure. The factory recommended using silicone windshield sealant on all
windshields via a TSB (Tech Service Bulletin) way back in 1973. I use a
transparent version after the gasket and windshield are in place, around only the
outer periphery of the windshield. Had it out twice (once to replace glass,
once to paint), no leaks ever. Be sure to use special Windshield Silicone that
does NOT cure by exhuding an acid as std silicones do. The acid from std
silicone will make an iffy situation worse very quickly.
Before replacing the assembly, take a power wire brush and work on the
cavity at the base of the windshield; there are usually rust pits- occasionally,
all the way through the metal into the wiring behind the dash. Be prepared
to at least use lots of rust-preventative paint if not remedial welding or
brazing. Good luck- J Deryke