[DeTomaso] shifter u joints

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 19:51:15 EDT 2013

On my car, removing the old windshield was easy.  i installed the new gasket on the old windshield, but the combo was way too thick to fit in the original opening.  I greased everything up like crazy.  I placed a string in the gasket recess like everyone says to, so that i could pull it out and get the gasket to come around the metal lip.  the trouble was, the new gasket was just too thick to fit through the opening, I ended up having to cut a good bit of the gasket out to allow it to fit through the frame,  i am sure it would leak if I went in the rain now.  But I am OK since i don't drive this car in the rain
from this description, it does not sound too bad, but imagine spending HOURS trying to get the gasket through, using my fingers to try and pull the gasket .  the metal frame sliced me up in a number of spots, and my fingertips were bruised and sore for a week.  and in the end, i had to use careful blows from the flat of my hand on the windshield to seat it.  I was worried i might break the glass, but I was so frustrated that I dont think I was thinking rationally.  I had a friend helping too.  never want to do that again
of course, like anything on this car, i bet i could do a lot better job the second time around....