[DeTomaso] shifter u joints- Part Numbers and Sizes

Chris Difani csdifani at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 00:11:43 EDT 2013

Guys:

On my '73, the steering, and shift linkage 'joints are all 14MM by 36
splines (that 14MM is interchangeable with 9/16").  The shift linkage takes
2, and the steering 2 as well.  The best that I've found are made by
Flaming River, and come in two "flavors"; nickel plated steel, and
stainless steel.  The Flaming River numbers are FR2561 for stainless, and
DR1761 for nickel plated.  The Summit numbers are FLA-FR2561 and FLA-FR1761.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr2561

Borgeson also makes a 'joint in this size and spline count.  I've looked at
them, and they're (in my opinion) not quite as good as the Flaming River
models.  I suspect however that functionally they're equal.  You can also
get this size and spline in a fully enclosed version, where the flex
portion of the 'joint is covered in an elastic dust proofing (originally
used for helicopter linkages).

The Flaming River versions come with 2 set screws, and are secured with a
lock nut, and/or Loctite.  They are not designed to be secured with roll
pins.  The set screws are 180 degrees apart, and are specifically designed
to be secure once tightened into place with the locknut torqued correctly.

As to price, all I can suggest is to search... and choose wisely.  Summit
sells the nickel plated version for $74, the stainless at around $88 each,
with polished stainless being $104 or so.  The Borgeson versions are less,
but they seem to be more difficult to obtain. Also the 36 spline by 9/16"
size is not a popular size, so many distributors don't stock them... or if
they do, they've got one only.

Personally I've replaced all of my old control 'joints with Flaming River
nickel plated 'joints.  They look good, and are extremely smooth in
operation.  The splines are cleanly cut, and they have all fit smoothly,
and securely.  Between my 19MM (3/4") Heim rod end, and my Flaming River
'joints, my shift linkage is very smooth, and relatively effortless (or at
least all the effort is expended at the ZF's shifting mechanism).

But, as always, YMMV.

Chris

Chris Difani
'73 L #5829 "LITNNG"