[DeTomaso] Trunion and shifter shaft

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sun Mar 24 09:03:40 EDT 2013

Dear Corey,

         I have had DQ's heim joint trunion set up in both cars for over
twenty years.  It did not provide a significant improvement in shifting, but
it did provide some.  It is quite clear to me that the set up is much more
resilient than the stock set up and has been almost maintenance free.

          A couple of years ago when I was fighting the shift linkage
adjustment, I removed the last two u joints and was surprised by how stiff
they were.   I assumed that was because they suffered some corrosion and
only needed to be cleaned and treated with penetrating oil.  Well, that was
wrong and didn't help to any real degree.  A few months later, I visited PPC
and DQ showed me this lovely jewel-like stainless steel u joints.  He also
had some NOS u joints.  The NOS were as stiff as my well used units.  The
PPC units were completely different. They were slick and free and floppy
with all the movement that I would expect in a u joint. The bad news is that
they were pricey ( IIRC, $40 each?).  The other bad news is that they
required complete disassembly of the linkage in order to drill a small
depression ( terminology?) in each of the shift rod ends for the lock screw
to reside and prevent rotation on the shaft as they do not simply fit onto
the splines.  So, although I think that replacing the stock u joints would
provide real level of improved shifting by eliminating  the inherently stiff
stock units, I will have to wait for the next engine removal to provide
access for complete removal of the linkage, followed by machining, followed
by re-assembly.  The linkage might be removed with the engine in place, but
I am a bit lazy to take that route.

                  FWIW,  Chuck Engles