[DeTomaso] steering column

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Mar 22 22:00:49 EDT 2013

In a message dated 3/21/13 8 48 41, fredhen at online.no writes:

> Hey is there anyone who can have such a steering column in good condition
> lying around that they would like to sell to me?? on my both welds are
> broken off where the support is, and that's pretty much slack in both up
> and
> down, right and left.
> I very much appreciate it if anyone has one to sell me,
> then I do not feel I'm able to overhaul the one I have: (
>
>>>You should definitely try to save the one you have.   I have a brand new
one that I could sell you, but it wouldn't be cheap. :<(

What you're actually talking about is the tube that supports the steering
shaft, and not the shaft itself.   There are two pieces welded to this tube,
as seen in this photo:

The steering wheel would be on the left, and steering rack etc. on the
right.   The smaller of the two clamps is held to the tube with just a single
spot weld, and it is very VERY common for that weld to break.

(Everybody else--go out in the garage and tug and pull up and down and side
to side on your steering wheel.   Chances are it will have unwanted
movement and if you kneel down and peer under the dash, you'll see the tube moving
freely away from the clamp).

What you should do is remove the assembly, take it apart, and seam-weld it.
  However, be advised that there is a nylon bushing inside the tube which
will turn into a molten pile of goo when you do this, so you need to have a
replacement oillite (oil-impregnated brass) bushing before you get too crazy
with the welder.   They are sold by Pantera Performance Center; I have a
small stock in my inventory so I could supply you with one, which I sell at my
cost from them.

I will send you an article I wrote a few years back that details all the
things you can do to fix this, and other related problems with the steering
system, not directly involving the steering rack.

Cheers!