[DeTomaso] Shift gate lockout project

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 22:16:59 EDT 2013

In a message dated 3/19/13 18 50 59, Pantera351C at Hotmail.Com writes:

> "Hoosier slicks mounted on my spare 8/10 inch Campagnolo wheels, brake
> fluid
> changed, etc. etc."
>
> Does this mean your Campy coffee table is gone from your living room?
>
> Did Lori have a say in this? Oh wait, she's a car girl so I am sure she
> approved.
>

>>>No, my Campagnolo coffee table is safe!   That wheel is actually an
8-inch wheel that developed a hairline crack along the rim and won't hold air.
It's perfect for coffee table use though!

I've also got a dented 7-inch wheel, a black-painted 7-inch wheel with a
205/65 tire for use as a spare for my GT350, and a full set of
(borrowed/stored) 7s and 8s with crusty BFG tires on them.

But my track tires are mounted on a set of 10s that I got from a guy down
in So-Cal after I helped him sell his car (I convinced him that he'd get the
same money for his car either with, or without the 10s, and he did, and then
I bought the 10s so he made a bit more money on the deal) and a pair of 8s
that were very kindly given to me by Dennis Yogi (and which travelled home
with a friend, on a C-5 Galaxy, after first touring the whole Pacific
region...)

Just got in from spending this afternoon tinkering in the garage, fixing
this and that, checking ignition timing (I thought it had advanced itself
because my idle speed suddenly went up for no visible reason, but the timing was
fine, the intake and carb bolts were all tight--turns out my throttle
return spring built into the cable had unwound itself and slackened off so it
wasn't providing pressure to close the carb all the way).

Oh, and I got my backup lights working again.   Whee!

Oddly, installing my roll bar killed fuse #8.   Jim Seiferling theorizes
that because one of the bolts for the roll bar is touching the lens housing
for the dome light, it's shorting out somehow.   I was going to blow it off
until after the track day, but then realized that the windshield wipers are on
the same circuit.   Leaving it alone is a sure way to guarantee rain!   So
I'll have to investigate that further in the next few days....