[DeTomaso] Shift gate lockout project

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Mar 19 00:20:45 EDT 2013

Hi guys,

The ZF gearbox is a fantastic thing, but the dogleg first gear can
occasionally catch people out, especially in an open track setting.

To see what I mean, check out this in-car video from a GT40 where the
driver blew the 4-3 downshift, and instead went from 4th to 1st gear.   (The
carnage starts just after the 2:00 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl6Bk6Psj24

With the upcoming Laguna Seca track day on March 30th, I've been working on
my Pantera to get it more track-ready.   Roll bar installed, Hoosier slicks
mounted on my spare 8/10 inch Campagnolo wheels, brake fluid changed, etc.
etc.

I decided to follow the example set by various prototype Ferraris,
Chevrons, Lolas etc., which utilize a mechanical lockout system to block off first
and reverse gears.   The idea is that those gears are used when manuvering in
the pits, but are then useless once underway on track.

I have a ratty old stock shift gate with badly worn fingers and flaking
chrome.   I decided to use it as the foundation for my project.   (I actually
had a factory Gr4 shift gate at one time, which had a reverse (only) lockout,
but I traded it to Les Gray for the nice chrome gate I have in my car now).

I zipped down to the hardware store and bought a simple four-inch hinge.
Brought it home, clamped the two together, did a little marking, a little
hacksawing and grinding, a bit of drilling, tapping, and voila!

Shift gate in the open position, allowing use of all gears:

And with it flipped over, reverse and first are blocked, turning the ZF
into a simple four-speed:

Total cost:   $4.03

Avoiding the dreaded 4-1 downshift?   PRICELESS!

Once the track day is done, I'll put the street tires back on, change back
to the regular non-ugly shift gate, and live happily ever after....